Thursday, May 18, 2006

I'm not sure what made me think about it - perhaps a group of teenage boys that I saw at the park today, all dressed in the same white t-shirts - a coincidence and the weather, not a plan, most likely. But all of a sudden, it occurred to me that a fake, Komsomolish movement like the Russian Nashi couldn't happen in Ukraine. It must have been Kyiv's idyllic - apolitical - atmosphere, so typical of the month of May, so relaxed - and the somewhat nightmarish memory of last year's Nashi rally: all those tired, hungry kids, so far away from home, stuck in Moscow for no obvious reason, waiting for their buses to depart.


(the rest of the series - 50 photos - is here)

***

What if Yanukovych, not Tymoshenko, becomes prime minister - is there going to be another Maidan? I doubt it.

1 comment: