Sunday, March 19, 2006

It's snowing in Minsk. (Channel 5 was reporting live from someplace quiet, not the square.)

Milinkevich has arrived - around 9:30 pm.

Lots of flags - white-red-white Belarusian, Ukrainian, Zubr.

Public transportation isn't taking passangers to the center. Subway trains skip the Oktyabrskaya Pl. station.

Updates in Russian/Belarusian are here.

My *LJ Belarus* hasn't been updated in a while - either LJ's being blocked or everyone's at Maidan. Hope it's the latter.

Andrei Khrapavitski and other sources report that mobile phones of those who are at Maidan now aren't working - maybe they're being jammed, but it's more likely that the network's overloaded, at least this is how it was in Kyiv: cell phones were going nuts. Andrei reports that a Radio Liberty journalist had to file a story using a regular payphone - that's cute.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, do you remember I was filing... well not just filing but actually doing a live for CBS-Radio and CBC-TV from Baraban's phone? (Baraban is a bar right off Krescatik--a place where one newspaper claimed the Orange Revolution was conceived.) I just stepped outside hoping they would cue me when the airconditioner I was standing under was off and no one was slamming the door I was standing by. But then came you with a friend and ran a hand through my hair as I was talking to the entire news-consuming Canada.
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete