Saturday, August 20, 2005

I feel at least twice as smart now that I have deciphered the meaning of this sentence in an Aug. 1 New Yorker piece on the U.S. Supreme Court:

As Scalia noted with dismay in his dissenting opinion in Lawrence, the Association of American Law Schools "(to which any reputable law school must seek to belong) excludes from membership any school that refuses to ban from its job-interview facilities a law firm (no matter how small) that does not wish to hire as a prospective partner a person who openly engages in homosexual conduct."


I read it at least seven times - twice out loud - before I got it. Reminded me of the GRE.

2 comments:

  1. hello!

    I'm wanting correspond with you about a Fulbright grant I'm applying for for 2006-07. I'm looking for journalists in Ukraine and I found your blog. Would you send me a note and I'll tell you more about my project. I'm planning to study female journalists in Kyiv.\

    Hope to hear from you soon!

    Joni

    joniayn@yahoo.com

    08.20.05 - 11:40 pm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, now my head hurts. Stuff like that is one of many reasons I no longer read the New Yorker.

    08.21.05 - 4:44 pm

    ReplyDelete