Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Karen Alkalay-Gut, a wonderful Israeli poet and writer, shares an amazing personal story about London and the Tube:

July 10, 2005

LONDON AND ME

One of my favorite myths about myself is that I was conceived in Holborn Station, one of the central underground stations in London. The factual basis for this story of my origins is that my refugee parents did sleep there during the Blitz, and were issued passes delineating their space numbers. And because the buzz bombs began on the night of June 12th 1944, and I was born on the night of March 29, 1945, the night they ended, I must have spent every night of my incubation there. [...]


Do read the rest of this entry in Karen's Tel Aviv Journal.

1 comment:

  1. That's a very moving post.

    Are you familiar with Henry Moore's Tube Shelter drawings from the Second World War? They also have some of that "womb-like" quality that Karen Alkalay-Gut refers to:

    http://www.tate.org.uk/magazine/...ssue2/ moore.htm

    07.12.05 - 12:11 pm

    ReplyDelete