Thursday, January 20, 2005

A brief overview of the post-election situation on the Crimean Peninsula, at RFE/RL (via Foreign Notes) - Three Challenges for the Crimean Tatars.

Of the links provided in the piece, I've found this one interesting: Ukrainian Democracy Speaks Turkish in the Crimea, by Nicola Dell’Arciprete, PR manager for the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organisation (UNPO).

On a personal note, I can't wait to return to Ukraine and begin writing pieces that I'd give a lot to read right now - snapshots of the real people living their real lives. Pure politics is tiresome. I hope Crimea will be one of my first destinations when I settle down in Ukraine again. I hope we'll make it back home this year.

***

Two more Crimean Tatar links:

- Stalin’s Ethnic Cleansing of the Crimean Tatars and their Struggle for Rehabilitation, 1944-1985

- Celebrating the Life of Ismail Bey Gaspirali

No comments:

Post a Comment