Sunday, November 28, 2004

On Thursday, I saw Al-Jazeera's Moscow bureau chief, Akram Khuzam, just off Independence Square. It was weird to see him here - he's been quite a celebrity in Moscow, ever since the 2002 Nord-Ost hostage crisis, when he was giving interviews everywhere, in very good Russian. But to see him in Kyiv was weird - nothing newsworthy enough ever happened here, or so it seems.

When I told Mishah about this encounter, he said I should've come up to him and tell/ask about the Crimean Tatars, Mustafa Jemilev and their relevance in today's situation. I feel bad I didn't think about it myself then. I was too cold but that's not a good excuse.

I haven't been following the papers for a week now - just TV and the basic stuff on the web - so maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that the Crimean Tatars - the majority if not all of whom voted for Yushchenko - are being neglected now as much as Ukraine had been just a few weeks ago, before all this news craziness began.

No comments:

Post a Comment